2.09.2012

PrimeTime!

The walls are finally (and I can't tell you how much I mean that word) up and plastered so we were able to prime everything this past weekend.  What normally feels like the most rewarding part of a renovation job felt very anti-climactic this time around.  I am used to transforming an already worn-out/ugly/out-dated space, so I've never really worked with a fresh canvas before.  Painting white over white just isn't that exciting.  There was no reward at the end.....it looked the exact same (well, maybe a little cleaner), but it still took forever.  And although I know how important this step is, I couldn't help but wish I could have skipped it!

So here is a look at the progress after the plastering was completed:








In that last photo you can see whats left of the yellow walls from our home's previous life.  Thought I would be a little sad for it to go, but I can't tell you how empowering it felt to paint over it!!  I have said it before, I love the color yellow, but the fact that it was on every wall, trim, tile and molding piece, I'm so very relieved to have it gone for good. 

Check the basement out after a coat of prime (we used Gripper for the walls and BIN for any wood/trim):

Ahhhhh!  So much better, right?










As frustrating as priming was, I guess there is a noticeable difference between the before and after photos.  It definitely looks a little cleaner.  So it was worth it in the end, but I have to say that at the time, I felt like giving up and calling it a day more than once.  I had to keep reminding myself that it is totally crucial to have that layer of prime under the paint.  I'm not sure of the exact chemical reaction, but it helps to provide a strong base for the paint to adhere to.  I'm sure that one of those paint/primer in one mixtures would have been ok too, but since we were working with VERY new plaster, I thought it was best to take the extra step (as painstaking as it was...haha).  Ok, enough complaining.  I'm sure you also noticed in these photos that the floors look a little different than before.  Over the last two weeks, we have also had the heating company (Viega) come in and install the radiant heating panels!  YAY! They are not totally functioning just yet, but the guys should be coming back this week to hook them up to our boiler.  Can't wait for warm and toasty toes!!

Next step for the basement is to paint.  We want to get it all done before installing the floors to avoid any messy situations after the fact.  I actually started on the back room yesterday and plan to finish up the second coat tomorrow.  Can't wait to show you!  I love the color.  I have been looking for the perfect beige for a LOOOOOONG time and I think I finally found it.  

Do you guys have a favorite paint color that you have used multiple times in your home?  Or do you have a certain color scheme that flows from room to room?  I am still not sure about the colors for the bathroom and family room so I am open to suggestions (we are leaning towards cool tones though...since that goes with some existing tile that we have for the bathroom and the couch that we already own for the living space).  I would love to hear your thoughts!!  








 

1 comment: